Why are we here ..... Read more... ×
MarkW

Settle a dispute - exclusive mode to run month end via VPN from home?

Question

Hi

I want to run the month/year end from the comfort of my sofa with a glass of wine and salty nibbles while the dearest watches all the high quality reality/talent shows we are deluged with on Saturday night.

But another partner in the business reckons the OGI system must be in exclusive mode to run the month/year end. (This creates problems with the last person out putting it into exclusive mode and first person in taking it out). Is this the case?

Are there any other considerations and how does everyone else do it?

At the moment one of us is staying over to baby sit the report and often not leave till gone 7pm.

Thanks.

Mark

2 answers to this question

Hi Mark - hope all's well with you !

Not entirely true IMHO - "exclusive mode" is not a pre-requisite for running the reports - only during full overnight processing (particularly for services such as InfoCentre / Web etc etc)

So - as long as no one else is in the system you should be alright to run the reports - otherwise someone could post an accounts entry and cause a headache. The only guarantee of course is a reboot (which you could do remotely) but that throws you out anyway if you are connected to a Winlink Open-i session and you would need to make sure auto VDU start up is switched on

In addition - Not an area of my expertise but - VPN & ILO is another answer - whatever they mean. As long as the system is up and you can get in then you are effectively on the lead screen and can reboot and use exclusive mode anyway etc etc - as if you were in the office.

If its out of hours - and no one else is on or would go on the system then, reboot, auto start and run from home, wine in hand.

If you are feeling realy flush - Open GI have an auto overnight Month End option for a few "K" which schedules itself in alongside backup / EDI / Refresh / etc. Then you dont even have to remote in and you can concentrate on "The Voice" instead - Yay Yay - JessieJ

Other experiences, options and thoughts welcome.

On 30/03/2012 at 11:30, MarkW said:

Hi

I want to run the month/year end from the comfort of my sofa with a glass of wine and salty nibbles while the dearest watches all the high quality reality/talent shows we are deluged with on Saturday night.

But another partner in the business reckons the OGI system must be in exclusive mode to run the month/year end. (This creates problems with the last person out putting it into exclusive mode and first person in taking it out). Is this the case?

Are there any other considerations and how does everyone else do it?

At the moment one of us is staying over to baby sit the report and often not leave till gone 7pm.

Thanks.

Mark

I personally believe as long as you are 100% certain there are no other users in the system/overnight schedules due to start you are fine to run without exclusive mode.