Why are we here ..... Read more... ×
aggy

Disaster Recovery?

And its STILL not sorted SSP Outage

More press coverage - but be warned - ".... It's not the supplier that's regulated, it's the broker" So who will the FCA come down on? Not LW that's #4sure

NB - This applies to everything and everyone. It's YOUR Disaster Recovery Policy - no-one else's 

Sad but true

Thoughts?

We upgraded our OpenGi Server last month - whilst the cloud option was being heavily promoted, we stuck with on-site hardware and a robust on and off-site backup facility on the advice of an external I.T Consultant.

The SSP debarcle has just backed up (pun intended) our decision to give cloud a miss this time round.

There seems to be a lot of smoke and mirrors in the press at the minute regarding what has actually happened at SSP and is the brokers data safeguarded. I wonder why services couldn't continue via a second back-up cloud server?

I for one wouldn't cherish the thought of the FCA questioning my Disaster Recovery Policy for something 'out of my control' but as you say, the responsibility lies with the Broker.

I expect there will be discussions between SSP users and their legal advisors...

Computers, can't live with 'em...

• Like 1

We upgraded our OpenGi Server last month - whilst the cloud option was being heavily promoted, we stuck with on-site hardware and a robust on and off-site backup facility on the advice of an external I.T Consultant.

Darren out of interest how do you achieve the offsite backup?

Hi Colm,

We purchased two Netgear NAS Drives - effectively a box with 5x 1TB hard disks in each. Data is duplicated on all 5 drives as a failsafe for drive failure.

One NAS drive stays on site and is connected to our LAN, the other sits off-site (at a colleagues house) and again is connected to the internet via his modem/router. As you appear to have two offices, you could have a drive at each that back up to each other.

We installed a piece of software called Memeo which is constantly looking for file additions and changes throughout the day on our document imaging database (Virtual Cabinet) and backs them up to the NAS drive on site in almost real-time.

You can also add any other directories to Memeo you want backing up.

I don't think its possible to back up OpenGI in real-time when sessions are running.

When our overnight OpenGI schedule starts we have the OpenGI system back up firstly to tape drive on the OpenGI Server and immediately afterwards it sends a copy to Memeo and the on-site NAS drive. The Netgear Hardware comes with a piece of software called ReadyNAS Replicate and this then sends a copy of the backup from the onsite NAS Drive to the off-site one.

The overnight replicate takes less than an hour but both drives are connected to Fibre internet providers. Time will depend on file size and both your upload and download speeds.

OpenGI can help you set up the special overnight processing to send a file each day overnight. We have a separate file for each working day of the week and opted to overwrite them on a weekly basis. 

Our IT chap is based here in York and probably wouldn't be able to travel across to you but at least you could speak to someone locally and tell them how we do it.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Complete the poll above and let us know your initial thoughts on Mobius
    • Hi Debra   I've not come across any corruption issues before - so can't give any specific answers. This sort of thing may happen for lots of reasons - none of which easy to pin down:- security settings / version differences (OpenAttach / Scan software / PC Windows or Operating system Vs / Adobe / Java etc etc). You really need to be able to pin down when / for whom this happens - as I suspect it will be not across all machines all the time and get to the problem once you know where it is. Tricky indeed ...   You don't mention "how" the PDF gets to OpenAttach - is it copied / dragged / Imported as all may have an impact. Also - would be good to know "when" it gets corrupted. That means everyone checking post allocation that you can read it - which is painful I know - but it may be corrupted BEFORE it even hits OpeanAttach - all part of the investigation process I'm afraid.    OpenAttach has never been the fastest tool to retrieve documents - but should be usable. Areas to look at here are the file sizes being generated by your scan stations (any more than a few hundred k will be an issue and a waste of space. Secondly folder sizes and volume of documents. OA has to read the whole directory before displaying the list - and that can take time with a few hundred in a folder. Finally -  it may just come down to the OA server set-up. (i) Are they stored on the OGI server or a dedicated Windows server (ii) if the latter - is it a DEDICATED server - or is it doing other things as well (iii) is the server physically located in your office - or remote?   Intermittent problems are always hard to track down the root cause - but the speed may be more easily investigated as above   If all else fails - it's back to OGI I'm afraid - they should spot the issues ...... eventually 🙊   Meanwhile - let me know any more info around the above and happy to help further if I can   M
    • I am wondering whether any other Open Attach users are experiencing problems when they retrieve scanned files that have been imported into Open Attach.  We have had several instances where a PDF document has been retrieved from Open Attach only to find it won't open as it has become corrupt.  Initially we reviewed our scanning and importing process, however, this is fine and documents stored in other locations do not seem to present a problem.   In addition documents can become very unresponsive when accessing them via Open Attach and again I would be interested to find out whether other users are having similar experiences.   Any feedback would be appreciated.
    • Hi Mark,   Thanks for your reply. Everyone must be busy reading hundreds of pages of legislation!    We’re just finalising our procedures now. Good advice has been hard to find. Even the data privacy lawyers are reluctant. I have documented the phone call with the ICO so if we’re doing something wrong we can say they told us to (that was the compliance consultant’s advice).    Thanks,   Lisa
    • Hi Lisa - thanks for the question   Looks like this has not gained much response !! Always a tricky area   I'm no compliance advisor - so you will need to take better advice. However as a minimum (DPA or GDPR ) you have to prove you have a lawful basis - and that you have a process for those wishing to opt out - even if there are consequences given you are holding their Insurance   And when you are no longer holding their (current) policy - then what? What is your documented process for removal of their data you no longer "need"? How can they access it? How can they port it elsewhere?   Maybe someone can give a more lucid / generic answer from the coalface - but you really need to take good advice from a good source.   Are you a network member and / or do you have a compliance point of reference (other than ICO)?