Why are we here ..... Read more... ×
Deb5R

Issue with Open Attach

Question

I am wondering whether any other Open Attach users are experiencing problems when they retrieve scanned files that have been imported into Open Attach.  We have had several instances where a PDF document has been retrieved from Open Attach only to find it won't open as it has become corrupt.  Initially we reviewed our scanning and importing process, however, this is fine and documents stored in other locations do not seem to present a problem.

In addition documents can become very unresponsive when accessing them via Open Attach and again I would be interested to find out whether other users are having similar experiences.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

1 answer to this question

Hi Debra

I've not come across any corruption issues before - so can't give any specific answers. This sort of thing may happen for lots of reasons - none of which easy to pin down:- security settings / version differences (OpenAttach / Scan software / PC Windows or Operating system Vs / Adobe / Java etc etc). You really need to be able to pin down when / for whom this happens - as I suspect it will be not across all machines all the time and get to the problem once you know where it is. Tricky indeed ...

You don't mention "how" the PDF gets to OpenAttach - is it copied / dragged / Imported as all may have an impact. Also - would be good to know "when" it gets corrupted. That means everyone checking post allocation that you can read it - which is painful I know - but it may be corrupted BEFORE it even hits OpeanAttach - all part of the investigation process I'm afraid. 

OpenAttach has never been the fastest tool to retrieve documents - but should be usable. Areas to look at here are the file sizes being generated by your scan stations (any more than a few hundred k will be an issue and a waste of space. Secondly folder sizes and volume of documents. OA has to read the whole directory before displaying the list - and that can take time with a few hundred in a folder. Finally -  it may just come down to the OA server set-up. (i) Are they stored on the OGI server or a dedicated Windows server (ii) if the latter - is it a DEDICATED server - or is it doing other things as well (iii) is the server physically located in your office - or remote?

Intermittent problems are always hard to track down the root cause - but the speed may be more easily investigated as above

If all else fails - it's back to OGI I'm afraid - they should spot the issues ...... eventually 🙊

Meanwhile - let me know any more info around the above and happy to help further if I can

M

• @Philr may be able to help - he is the User Group IPID man!
    • Hi just found this forum    We updated from 5.2.1  to 5.82  how many of you are using 5.82 and how you finding it?  Also how are you getting on with IPID docs?  I finding the PDf don't leave the print queue   Pete  
    • Also - once confirmed and tested, make sure you can access the service outside of your local network    If it cant be connected likely it is a firewall / port issue that you will need your IT / Infrastructure team to allow access to   That can be a little painful too ...   M
    • Creditline + is really good, being able to process payment/allocate to OGI in one process is the main advantage to other solutions.   In a previous life we even linked it to our phone system to fully cover PCI DSS compliance (client keyed in cc number so we did not have to pause record) - but that was fairy expensive to do at the time.   You will get the odd blip when payment has gone through but not allocated to OGI but you will have access to an online portal to check payments received if get one which has supposedly failed.
    • We currently use the Worldpay online card payment facility which is becoming more and more expensive.   We are exploring other avenues available including Open GI's own offering (I believe Creditline Plus).   Can anyone that is using the Open Gi offering please give us any feedback.   Also anyone using an outsourced facility other than Worldpay, who do you use?   Thanks :-)