I do like that Azure is integrating Linux.

The datacentre does sound amazing.

However, my top concern is that OGI can not guarantee a connection between our offices and the datacentre. (Understandably not feasible).

If you had iGels / dumb terminals that connected directly to the cloud and your firewall, switch or internet connection has a fault then you could end up being completely unable to do anything until it is resolved.

Personally, I always want the most redundant solution; local servers synchronising with cloud.

Great points made - and welcome to the Forum!

I’ve done a few loops round many a boardroom table on the cloud vs local debate. As you rightly point out - you can have as much redundancy as you want in the Datacentre - but what about accessing it in the first place?

As you mention, if you only have 1 firewall / switch / leased line / then there’s a point of failure inbuilt. Just because it’s “cloud” doesn’t mean to say it’s “Safe”

And let’s just overlook the whole local and remote SLAs to go with any architecture.

M

OneFiftyPercent.com

• 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

We recently revisted migrating to Mobius.

• There is no local server hosting.
  • It is limited to consumer only.
  • We frequently get news flashes that there are problems with the current Open-I Cloud solutions.
  • Performance is worse with Exchange 365 than locally hosted Exchange 2013 (that we previously had). 
  • Integrated products, Open Attach working with Outlook and thefore MS mainframes has been frustrating and cost us a lot in productivity.

We might revisit this in two years time. I doubt I will be recommending it as the way forward at that time.

Edited by GremlinIT
24 minutes ago, GremlinIT said:

a full OGI buffet

LOL 😆 - I've heard their software called somethings, but never this!

Anybody who is an entrenched OGI User would find Mobius falling short in lots of areas methinks and tbf - it's not meant as a replacement.

I was told once, the answer to the question "what are the differences / what are the gaps?" was met with "It's irrelevant - they are different".

Not sure that approach would ever win over any existing Core user

• Haha 1

It was initially fired across our bow as a full replacement, something that would address all the shortcomings of Tripos + Java and Open-I would be phased out in a few years. Those few years have already come and gone of course. 

• Like 1