Why are we here ..... ×

Open GI Enginners - Unsung Heroes?

Sara Noble

Question

I thought it would be nice to post a positive experience of Open GI. I think we are all a bit guilty of jumping up and down when things go wrong and forgetting to praise when things go well.

I had 2 engineers onsite last week to upgrade the Linux Operating System on my server. I have put this off for a long time as I was sure there would be a lot of disruption. There is a long story here as Open GI had initially wanted to replace my server with a like for like one but I was uncomfortable with this. I like my server - it has been reliable, I know it's not been pushed too hard and there's plenty life in it. Open GI didn't argue with my emotional attachment even though they would have been within their rights to call the funny farm! They agreed to let me have a loan server whilst they did the work to our server onsite. A week before the job a loan server arrived onsite by courier.

I was expecting 3 days of our system being up and down like a yo-yo. I was wrong. Our regular engineer agreed to come into the office early on the first day of the job which meant we had less downtime during our operating hours and we were only down once that day. He left around lunchtime but not before he had hung around for an hour or 2 to make sure the loan server was up and running without any issues. The 2nd day an extra engineer was onsite just in case there were any issues and the 2 of them worked away at installing the new operating system. When they were waiting on the software loading they updated each of my machines with the latest Open Suite (I had been putting this off for weeks) and offered to help with any issues we may have been having with the system. The loan server was switched to our own server when we were closed for lunch and this meant we only had around 30 minutes of downtime during office hours the second day.

The engineers left around 3pm and there was no need for the third scheduled day.

Most of you on this forum will be used to various engineers coming in site and disrupting your colleagues and creating havoc (or maybe that's just the companies I use!) that's not to mention the jobsworths.

This is not an untypical experience of Open GI being onsite for me, I find the engineers to be helpful and they regularly go above and beyond what I expect. They are a credit to Open GI. The fact I don't see them often is testament to how reliable and robust the system is.

Am I lucky or do you all have similar experiences with the Open GI engineers?<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">Sara

3 answers to this question

100% agree. Having bought two printers and finally getting Truckwriter installed (!) an engineer visited today to carry out the install. Nothing was too much trouble for him and full explanation of the printers was given, he even tried to answer some questions about Truckwriter set up but admitted that he was out of his depth. Worked to our convenience to ensure minimum downtime. As always, the best element of Open GI service, although Steve McNally comes a very close second!