Why are we here ..... ×

Help with Journals

Val

Question

Premium Finance transactions caused us  a problem with a client's balance on their risk. The balance on their risk is now correct, but by the journals created to do so it has affected the fees.  We now need to get the money back into the fees without it affecting the clients balance on screen, OGI cannot help, does anyone have any help with this, thank you

2 answers to this question

Hi @Val interesting question 

The bottom line is that in the OGI accounts system it is 99% impossible to have an incorrect entry - unless the system crashes in the middle of and accounts process - or there is a genuine system fault introduced (rare). Even then - it resets itself at Month End - with a Ledger Discrepancy. So. Unless youi have had a Month End discrepancy somewhere in the process the "correct" changes have been made to the journals / ledgers - although the result means an incorrect balance on the client in question. Just go and use that entry to offset against your clients record

The real reason why this is sometimes difficult to fix however, is that on OGI, you can delete transactions - and not leave an on screen trace that they were ever there. So. The balancing adjustment may have been against a transaction that is no longer on screen / on the ledger. This is why Batch Calcs may not work in this case - because it wont be there - let alone I suspect you wont have that software and as above, can be tricky to code up.

If you are not happy with just writing this off to fees (by creating a charge / negative charge) to balance the client account (which is what I would do), then you only have one other option - you need to find the original items - which will be a pain.

Either 

• Check the setting in Premium Finance which uses a "dummy" client account for offsetting errors
    • Check the settings file and have a look at those records first
  • If no joy, go through every cashbook since raising the original transaction and find ALL entries relating to the original record and / or dummy record
    • It will be there - you just have to find it

If you have and can use InfoCentre - that makes life easier - otherwise its a manual traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawl.

Overall a bit disappointed - but not surprised - that OGI wont help. It's their Finance software after all - and they know how it would write off balances - and where / which ledger account it goes to and how to quickly fix - if they could be bothered. Poor show really ....

Anyway - Good luck and hope this helps

M

It is possible to write a Batch calc that can do pretty much anything to any keyword, for example, we moved a book to another agent by running through all policies and where it matched the old Exec it put in the new one.

As such, one could write a calc to find a very specific entry by PolRef in the ledger with a specific transaction type and alter the figure in a particular keyword.

Make sure you are very comfortable with Batch Calcs because if you don't have this calc spot on, you can end up changing all transactions of that type to that figure, for example.

Edited by GremlinIT