Why are we here ..... ×

Open Word/Open Print Manager & Virtual Cabinet (INVU)

Clare Carter

Question

Sorry if this is long winded, but are there any users who use Open Word/Open Print Manager with Virtual Cabinet please?

At present when using Open Word, we save the word documents from Open Word 'manually' to Virtual Cabinet (so that we can then go into Virtual Cabinet to edit the word document if necessary) and we then send the Open Word Document separately to Open Print Manager for printing/emailing etc.

We are currently in the process of looking into upgrading our Virtual Cabinet, so that when we press 'Print' in Open Print Manager the document is automatically indexed to Virtual Cabinet. My problem here is that the document saved to Virtual Cabinet will then be a PDF document, and not an editable Word Document as we currently have. How do people work around this or is my thinking wrong please?  

6 answers to this question

Hi Clare,

We have our OPM set up to automatically export documents to VC when we either email and print and you are correct, this then attaches a pdf document into VC. 

As I understand it you can change the settings for Open Word in Open Product Settings to untick save pdf versions of documents. This then puts a word document into OPM and you'd just need to check with VC that it can be exported and saved as a word document.

Screenshot2.jpg.2ebcee7b4f684eac61474b4d8e370530.jpg

I think we've just got used to pdfs now! We weren't really informed of all the options when we started using Open Word 🙄 I know we all leave the letter open in Word until we've actually sent it to the client so when checking if we notice a spelling mistake or something I can amend and re-send to OPM.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers, Kate

• Like 1

Hi Clare - thanks for posting

I'm no VC expert - but I understand you have a choice with Open Suite settings as to how the document is generated to OPM. Some "OpenAttach users (VC equivalent) generate word documents rather than PDF - so the Open GI side of things is flexible with either format.

If you change this setting then you may find the process through to VC retains the format (Word) and the issue goes away

What may happen on the VC side however, is that VC because "collects" the output and then processes through to the VC store, it may be in that process that the PDF is created. 

If that is the case then to obtain a Word doc within VC rather than PDF, you will have to speak to the VC supplier to see if this is an option within their software. As above, the Open GI process can be either 

Hope this helps :)

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:30, Mark Sollis said:

Hi Clare - thanks for posting

I'm no VC expert - but I understand you have a choice with Open Suite settings as to how the document is generated to OPM. Some "OpenAttach users (VC equivalent) generate word documents rather than PDF - so the Open GI side of things is flexible with either format.

If you change this setting then you may find the process through to VC retains the format (Word) and the issue goes away

What may happen on the VC side however, is that VC because "collects" the output and then processes through to the VC store, it may be in that process that the PDF is created. 

If that is the case then to obtain a Word doc within VC rather than PDF, you will have to speak to the VC supplier to see if this is an option within their software. As above, the Open GI process can be either 

Hope this helps :)

Thanks very much for your reply Mark. I will look further into this, however I was hoping in the User Group there might be someone who does use VC and would therefore be able to reply based on their actual experience of using this. There seems to be very little activity on here from members of the Use Group these days, I guess we are all busier than ever.....

Hi Clare

Yes - disappointing that many come here to ask questions rather than answer others - but that's kind of what we are here for and we're OK with that. As long as people get help of some sort 

I still believe the answer to your issue is either the OPM output needs to be changed in the settings config (to save as word) and/or the VC process then needs to save as word also - not PDF. So two points to check which I'm sure will resolve your issue. 

I think @Kate Meakin use VC so maybe she can help further :)

M

On 21/07/2019 at 10:30, Mark Sollis said:

I understand you have a choice with Open Suite settings as to how the document is generated to OPM. Some "OpenAttach users (VC equivalent) generate word documents rather than PDF - so the Open GI side of things is flexible with either format.

Seems we agree KM - Thanks for the specific reference and note from your experiences with VC! 

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:46, Kate Meakin said:

Hi Clare,

We have our OPM set up to automatically export documents to VC when we either email and print and you are correct, this then attaches a pdf document into VC. 

As I understand it you can change the settings for Open Word in Open Product Settings to untick save pdf versions of documents. This then puts a word document into OPM and you'd just need to check with VC that it can be exported and saved as a word document.

Screenshot2.jpg.2ebcee7b4f684eac61474b4d8e370530.jpg

I think we've just got used to pdfs now! We weren't really informed of all the options when we started using Open Word 🙄 I know we all leave the letter open in Word until we've actually sent it to the client so when checking if we notice a spelling mistake or something I can amend and re-send to OPM.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers, Kate

Thank you very much for your response Kate. Apologies for my delayed thanks, but I have just returned to the office after 6 weeks off. Once I catch up with everything I will have a proper look at your response and come back to you if I need to. Thanks once again.