AGM 2012 Prize Draw Winner

BarbaraP

At our AGM on 11th October 2012, the Prize Draw for a Free Consultancy Day was held and we are pleased to announce that this has been won by Mr. Michael Payne from Whittlesey Insurance Services Ltd.

Michael Payne, Director, Whittlesey Insurance Services Ltd. , commented: “As a member I am aware that, as well as the benefits available on consumables you have arranged with Open GI, the fact that I have someone independent to talk to regarding the system as well as the combined knowledge of so many users is re-assuring.”

• Partnership deals that are in the interests of Open-GI's profits and not the best infrastructure for their clients. HP - (30% returns from printers to servers when I worked for a HP partner. Haven't been pleasantly surprised with 6 more years of dealing with their hardware). Microsoft - Oh ook another 60 security holes and a zero-day (mean nothing anyone other than Microsoft can do to fix it) that has been actively exploited for over two months now. Sophos - Tavis Ormandy of Google's top security team, charitably wrote a 30 page paper, which concludes that the company was "working with good intentions" but is "ill-equipped to handle the output of one co-operative security researcher working in his spare time". Recently, they forced through Multi-Factor Authentication for their "cloud" management site (which has a really useless, coutnerintuitve and uninformative interface), that is completely useless in a ransomware take over, you could easily be left without access to your "cloud". They should implement physical keys if they are going to push for this, not software methods that can be taken over as part of an attack. 
    • The real question for Open GI is why is only 1 browser supported?   Why do you think that is?   10 points for each correct answer …
    • Open Attach hasn't changed. It should be a database, more secure, better control over user access, find and retrieve files more quickly, et cetera.   Now everyone is being pushed to use MS Edge. I thought I saw a notice that you could use Firefox or Chrome, that seems to have been retracted and no one in support knows anything about it. Not sure I want to trust payments to a web browser, which is made by the some company that produces Windows, which has 50-100 vulnerabilites each month with 1-6 of them being zero days.
    • A year later, it doesn't seem to be any better. Still getting frequent news flashes of it being down, having problems and one case of a whole afternoon and evening of it being unvailable.    Core seems to be having problems, the level 2 and 3 staff appear to have been lumped into level 1, so their time is being wasted with donkey work and it seems that when people leave, they are not being replaced. Support turn around times are growing and bugs in the code are increasing.
    • So #BIBA for Real is back! Anyone else going?    Handy Tip - "Speak to more people you don't know, than those you do know"   You can thank me later - with flowers 🌻 💖