Why are we here ..... Read more... ×
MikeGMi

Print Manager Print Time

Question

We are now using OpenWord/Attach/Print Manager.

It takes around 40 seconds from hitting the Print button to getting the printout.

It's a long time so how does everyone organise their time to fill in.

Looking for suggestions to provide to staff to encourage use of Open Word documents apart from make a cup of tea and go for a cigarette :) 

4 answers to this question

We send all items to open print manager and then go on with next piece of work and print all at post time.

if you have a lot of sub documents / nested if then statements in your letter it will slow the process down as far as I know.

I am assuming that you may be a larger company than we are and therefore need a print/post room.

In most cases, we need to print out documents straight away as customers may be waiting.

Our chaser letters are done through the OPM queue which is not a problem, its just the speed at which a document is available when you need a document immediately. On the old Broom system, the documents are printed and waiting in seconds.

At the moment, I am concentrating on creating OW documents for those where any time delay in not a problem, such as chaser letters or renewal letters where documents can be batched up while the letter is being printed.

I have spoke with OpenGi and they have agreed that it will take the time it seems to be taking due to data being converted and transmitted between OpenGi/Word/Citrix but that this is a trade off against a better presented document and that we need to look at ways of adapting hence this post. 

Hi Mike - you are correct in that OpenWord takes longer to generate and print - as you say - a trade off for a "more friendly" way of setting up template documents 

Not much you can do to reduce the time taken - so perhaps need to get creative with the dead time between "request" and "print"

GDPR reading anyone ....?

OpenDocumentCentre more than doubled the speed of our OpenWord printing.

With ODC we can confidently batch generate/print hundreds of renewals at a time.