I do like that Azure is integrating Linux.

The datacentre does sound amazing.

However, my top concern is that OGI can not guarantee a connection between our offices and the datacentre. (Understandably not feasible).

If you had iGels / dumb terminals that connected directly to the cloud and your firewall, switch or internet connection has a fault then you could end up being completely unable to do anything until it is resolved.

Personally, I always want the most redundant solution; local servers synchronising with cloud.

Great points made - and welcome to the Forum!

I’ve done a few loops round many a boardroom table on the cloud vs local debate. As you rightly point out - you can have as much redundancy as you want in the Datacentre - but what about accessing it in the first place?

As you mention, if you only have 1 firewall / switch / leased line / then there’s a point of failure inbuilt. Just because it’s “cloud” doesn’t mean to say it’s “Safe”

And let’s just overlook the whole local and remote SLAs to go with any architecture.

M

OneFiftyPercent.com

• 2 years later...

We recently revisted migrating to Mobius.

• There is no local server hosting.
  • It is limited to consumer only.
  • We frequently get news flashes that there are problems with the current Open-I Cloud solutions.
  • Performance is worse with Exchange 365 than locally hosted Exchange 2013 (that we previously had). 
  • Integrated products, Open Attach working with Outlook and thefore MS mainframes has been frustrating and cost us a lot in productivity.

We might revisit this in two years time. I doubt I will be recommending it as the way forward at that time.

Edited by GremlinIT
24 minutes ago, GremlinIT said:

a full OGI buffet

LOL 😆 - I've heard their software called somethings, but never this!

Anybody who is an entrenched OGI User would find Mobius falling short in lots of areas methinks and tbf - it's not meant as a replacement.

I was told once, the answer to the question "what are the differences / what are the gaps?" was met with "It's irrelevant - they are different".

Not sure that approach would ever win over any existing Core user

• Haha 1

It was initially fired across our bow as a full replacement, something that would address all the shortcomings of Tripos + Java and Open-I would be phased out in a few years. Those few years have already come and gone of course. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • So #BIBA for Real is back! Anyone else going?    Handy Tip - "Speak to more people you don't know, than those you do know"   You can thank me later - with flowers 🌻 💖
    • "Warning re Sanctions Checks on #OpenGI"   This post is now available in the Public area of the Forum for review and comment 
    • Great to meet back up with the Open GI User Group Committee after soooooo many sessions on remote links   Breaking bread face to face is much more pleasant than a cup-of-soup in between video chats    Exciting times ahead for members and lot's of new stuff coming from Open GI
    • So - what is the point of this ..   Don't tell me even if you say "Yes" - it's actually being ignored?   Why would anyone restrict Sanctions Checks to specific Client / types - let alone specific Capture Page Layouts - SURELY a Yes/No per Client / Contact - and the existing global parameters - covers all the bases. Oh and where in the manual did it not explain this?   Either way - the Yes/No below is at best misleading for operators and at worst - a breach for the business!! Who's picking up that cost ...  
    • So, we find ourselves in modern day unprecedented time.  Governments around the world are applying strict sanctions against Russian companies and individuals and it's being made very clear that action will be taken if those sactions are ignored.   For most of us, this will not be an issue but what if you do have a sanctioned individual or company?  Are you checking?  Are you relying on Open GI Sanctions checking?   First of all, have you got Broker and Prospect Amendment completed under sanctions checking to review Commercial Risks?  Using the Level 1 Contacts on a Commercial master frame will also Sanction check whoever or whatever you put in for review.     However, what about your personal lines clients?  The client level is checked sure, but what about the contacts you've added??  Well, if you're not aware, be aware.  They don't get checked.  So, if you've corrected added a contact for a joint policyholder on a Home policy for example, just hope you've either got them insured in their own right somewhere or that they are not called Abramovich!     The point of Sanctions checking is that you have a record of the checks, in the event of something being highlighted.  Open GI have gone to the trouble of making this work for the Commercial risks but not Personal Lines.   However, your User Group Committee have raised this issue and will continue to apply pressure until something is done.